Butt Spider aka The Blush Spider


Classification Status
Hoax

True  
Urban Legend

False
Chain Mail

Unknown  
Joke/Spoof

  

Aliases  
Scam   Related to  
"Dim bulb" Rating (Click here for details)

 

This is one of those Urban Legend that just seems to run and run. It first appeared in 2000 and is still going strong.

Another new version has recently appeared.

Here's the original version:

"This is really scary...

According to an article by Dr. Beverly Clark, in the Journal of the United Medical Association (JUMA), the mystery behind a recent spate of deaths has been solved.

If you haven't already heard about it in the news, here is what happened. 

3 women in Chicago, turned up at hospitals over a 5 day period, all with the same symptoms. Fever, chills, and vomiting, followed by muscular collapse, paralysis, and finally, death. There were no outward signs of trauma. Autopsy results showed toxicity in the blood. These women did not know each other, and seemed to have nothing in common. It was discovered, however, that they had all visited the same restaurant (Big Chappies, at
Blare Airport), within days of their deaths.

The health department descended on the restaurant, shutting it down. The food, water, and air conditioning were all inspected and tested, to no avail. The big break came when a waitress at the restaurant was rushed to the hospital with similar symptoms. She told doctors that she had been on vacation, and had only went to the restaurant to pick up her check.

She did not eat or drink while she was there, but had used the restroom.

That is when one toxicologist, remembering an article he had read, drove out to the restaurant, went into the restroom, and lifted the toilet seat. Under the seat, out of normal view, was small spider.

The spider was captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to be the South American Blush Spider (arachnius gluteus), so named because of its reddened flesh color. This spider's venom is extremely toxic, but can take several days to take effect. They live in cold, dark, damp,climates, and toilet rims provide just the right atmosphere. Several days later a lawyer from Los Angeles showed up at a hospital emergency room. Before his death, he told the doctor, that he had been away on business, had taken a flight from New York, changing planes in Chicago, before returning home. He did not visit Big Chappies while there. He did, as did all of the other victims, have what was determined to be a puncture wound, on his right buttock. Investigators discovered that the flight he was on had originated in South America. The Civilian Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered an immediate inspection of the toilets of all flights from South America, and discovered the Blush spider's nests on 4 different planes! It is now believed that these spiders can be anywhere in the country.

So please, before you use a public toilet, lift the seat to check for spiders.

It can save your life!

And please pass this on to everyone you care about."

New Variant reported March 2000 below:

Subject: CHECKING THE TOILET SEATS

PLEASE READ and pass on this is a life or death situation

According to an article by Dr. Beverly Clark, in the Journal of the British Medical Association (JUMA), the mystery behind a recent spate of deaths has been solved. If you haven't already heard about it in the news, here is what happened.

3 women in Leeds, turned up at hospitals over a 5 day period, all with the same symptoms. Fever, chills, and vomiting, followed by muscular collapse, paralysis, and finally, death. There were no outward signs of trauma.

Autopsy results showed toxicityin the blood. These women did not know each other, and seemed to have nothing in common. It was discovered,however, that they had all visited the same restaurant (Stoops, Yeadon Airport), within days of their deaths. The health department descended on the restaurant, shutting it down. The food, water, and air conditioning were all inspected and tested, to no avail.

The big break came when a waitress at the restaurant was rushed to the hospital with similar symptoms. She told doctors that she had been on vacation, and had only went to the restaurant to pick up her wage.

She did not eat or drink while she was there, but had used the ladies room. That is when one toxicologist, remembering an article he had read, drove out to the restaurant, went into the restroom, and lifted the toilet seat.

Under the seat, out of normal view, was small spider. The spider was captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to be the South American Blush Spider (arachnius gluteus), so named because of its reddened flesh color. This spider's venom is extremely toxic, but can take several days to take effect.

They live in cold, dark, damp, climates, and toilet rims provide just the right atmosphere. Several days later a lawyer from London showed up at a hospital emergency room.

Before his death, he told the doctor, that he had been away on
business, had caught a return flight from New York to Leeds/Bradford Airport before changing planes to return home to London.

Although he did not visit The Stoops while there. He did, as did all of the other victims, have what was determined to be a puncture wound, on his right buttock. Investigators discovered that the flight he was on had originated in South America.

The Civilian Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered an immediate
inspection of the toilets of all flights from and to Leeds/Bradford Airport from America, and discovered the Blush spider's nests on 4 different planes! It is now believed that these spiders can be anywhere in the world.

So please, before you use a public toilet, lift the seat to check for spiders. It can save your life! And please pass this on to everyone you care about.

Here's another version that appeared around the end of 2002:

The perpetrator has changed a few things in this version, such as the restaurant name, the spider, and a few other minor changes and additions. It is still a HOAX though.....

The spider does exist, but it is not venomous to humans, more details below:

WARNING: From the University of North Florida. An article by Dr. Beverly Clark, in the Journal of the United Medical Association (JUMA), the mystery behind a recent spate of deaths has been solved. If you haven't already heard about it in the news, here is what happened.

Three women in North Florida, turned up at hospitals over a 5-day period, all with the same symptoms. Fever, chills, and vomiting, followed by muscular collapse, paralysis, and finally, death. There were no outward signs of trauma. Autopsy results showed toxicity in the blood.

These women did not know each other, and seemed to have nothing in common.
It was discovered, however, that they had all visited the same Restaurant (Olive Garden) within days of their deaths. The health; department descended on the restaurant, shutting it down. The food, water, and air conditioning were all inspected and tested, to no avail.

The big break came when a waitress at the restaurant was rushed to the hospital with similar symptoms. She told doctors that she had been on
vacation, and had only went to the restaurant to pick up her check. She did not eat or drink while she was there, but had used the restroom.

That is when one toxicologist, remembering an article he had read, drove out to the restaurant, went into the restroom, and lifted the toilet seat.
Under the seat, out of normal view, was a small spider. The spider was
captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to be the
Two-Striped Telamonia (Telamonia dimidiata), so named because of its
reddened flesh color. This spider's venom is extremely toxic, but can take several days to take effect. They live in cold, dark, damp climates, and toilet rims provide just the right atmosphere.

Several days later a lawyer from Jacksonville showed up at a hospital
emergency room. Before his death, he told the doctor, that he had been away on business, had taken a flight from Indonesia, changing planes in
Singapore, before returning home. He did not visit (Olive Garden), while there. He did, as did all of the other victims, have what was determined to be a puncture wound, on his right buttock.

Investigators discovered that the flight he was on had originated in India.
The Civilian Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered an immediate inspection of the toilets of all flights from India, and discovered the Two-Striped Telamonia (Telamonia dimidiata) spider's nests on 4 different planes!

It is now believed that these spiders can be anywhere in the country. So please, before you use a public toilet lift the seat to check for spiders.
It can save your life! And please pass this on to everyone you care about.

Here's the truth in a nutshell:- There is no such article in Medline, no such journal, no such spider.

Also:

Spider Veins aka Blush Spider Veins

Individuals seeking treatment of spider veins, whether on the face, around the nose or on the thighs and legs, often inquire about various techniques to eradicate these apparent blood vessels. The 'Real' Blush SpiderThe treatment of spider veins is very selective and dependant on size.

 Techniques available are sclerosis therapy with small injections which are required for the larger vessels and for the smaller type of blush spider veins. The Photoderm/Vasculight laser is used for vessels around the nose and on the cheeks of the face and for smaller vessels on the legs.

If you receive a message about this then please ignore it and don't pass it on as this only serves to propagate this urban legend..... 



The contents of all pages [and other material] on our site are copyright Martin Overton 1997-2007, or other stated author. All rights are reserved.
Reproduction, transfer, distribution or storage of part, or all of the contents in any form without the prior written permission of Martin Overton or the Copyright owner is prohibited.